Fly Fishing in The Ausable: the Two-Fly Challenge
20th Annual Event: May 16-19th, 2019
Twenty years of fishing, storytelling and raising money to preserve the West Branch of the Ausable River! To mark our 20th Anniversary, we are adding new items to the event. We’ve added an extra day, expected larger fish, expanded the fishing hours, added a live auction and hired well-known comedian Louis Ramey!
There are four divisions to choose from:
- Junior division is for children 15 or younger, who are not required to have a fishing license in New York State. A parent or legal guardian must be present with child at all times, both on and off the water.
- Competitive division is for Pro fisherman or anyone who has won in the Ausable River 2 Fly within the past 5 years.
- Women’s division
- Men’s division
Included in your registration:
- Special collectors glass
- 20th anniversary shirt
- All weekend activities listed below
New welcome party at the Wilmington Town Beach featuring a bon fire, food trucks, beer vendors, and “campfire” music by Ausable Branch.
Fly Tyers Reception where you will meet fly tyers and learn the tricks of the trade.
New Comedy Night to relax after a day of fishing and listen to the fun stories by well-known Comedian Louis Ramey.
Two Fly banquet complete with full dinner, awards, prizes, raffles and a new live auction!
A little about our comedy night featuring Louis Ramey
- Louis Ramey is a sharp-witted humorist who thrives on performing standup, connecting with people and making them think. He has been honing his craft for years and stars weekly on Nickelodeon's – The Nick @ Nite Road Crew.
- You’ve seen him on Comedy Central’s – Premium Blend, Comedy Central’s “USO Tour”, Comedy Central’s World Comedy Tour”, and on his own half hour special, “Comedy Central Presents: Louis Ramey”.
- Louis has performed on many television shows in the USA, Canada and Hong Kong: ABC’s “The View”, “20 Most Awesomely Bad Songs of 2004” – VH1, NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” (Season II), “Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn” – Comedy Central, “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno – NBC, “Last Call with Carson Daly” – NBC, “It’s Showtime at the Apollo”.
- Louis has performed in the Top Comedy Festivals including the US Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, where in 1999 Louis was voted Best New Artist.
Rules for the catch-and-release tournament are simple: Anglers are allowed to bring two barb-less hook flies, of any combination or patterns. Once the flies are lost or unusable, he or she is out. Anglers must fish with a partner and each must record the total number of fish caught, the length of each fish and the cumulative number of inches. Only fish handled by the angler and successfully released will count as caught fish. The winner is determined by the highest cumulative length of each fish caught.
There are four competitive categories: junior, men, women and professional. Each fisherman can choose just two flies to use per day. They must pick their flies they will use at the beginning of the day. If they lose them, they’re done.